GIS Map Service
Welcome to the District of Saanich GIS (Geographic Information System) map service.
- Environmental Development Permit Area boundaries (EDPA) are now available under the Environment folder. This layer shows the locations covered under the bylaw adopted by council. To understand what is environmentally significant about a specific location, other environment layers can be displayed such as Sensitive Ecosystem Inventory (SEI) or Wildlife tree areas.
- An initiative to develop a new municipal GIS map service is underway. Input has been received from the public and a plan is in place to migrate our web map service to a more accessible, usable and flexible technology. The service will continue to meet key needs, provide new tools and an improved user experience. It will provide access to an expanding inventory of spatial information and enable the integration of GIS services with mobile devices.
Saanich Map Viewer
This interactive GIS viewer is provided to better serve the public and enable residents to display, query and output maps of the latest municipal information.
The District’s map service encompasses over 50 layers of information of varying themes including terrain, land, transportation, parks, planning, environment, and engineering (sewer/storm/water).
GIS can help answer many geospatial questions. Examples include:
- finding an address location
- learning details about a property such as lot area, zoning or proximity to a park
- viewing underground infrastructure services (sewer, storm, water)
- learning about Saanich's historical sites, significant trees or trail network
- observing landscape change in a neighbourhood by comparing historical aerial photos dating back to 1997
The GIS Section at the District of Saanich is continually adding and improving spatial information and enabling increased and better access to public information.