Skip to main content

Risk Management & Claims

Contact Information

Risk Manager
Scott Broughton, FRM, CIP
250-475-5494 local 3420

Claims Analyst
Janice Andrews, CIP, CRM
250-475-5494 local 3423

Admin Assistant
Debbie Hayden

Sewer & Drain Enquiries

Waterworks Enquiries

Road Enquiries

After Hours Emergency Calls

The objective of the Risk Management Division is to protect the Municipality's assets, employees, volunteers and citizens from loss, damage or injury through the promotion of policies and procedures designed to prevent incidents from occurring. As well, the Division attempts to effectively reduce the effects of incidents which do occur through various methods of loss reduction, risk transfer and risk financing.

The Division is responsible for recommending, selecting and purchasing all insurance necessary to sustain the Municipality's ability to deliver services to its taxpayers. The Municipality does not carry general liability insurance in the same way that a homeowner or business operator does. Rather it operates with large retentions (or deductibles) and therefore most losses are effectively self-insured.

The Division is also responsible for the claims management function for the Municipality. It investigates and adjusts all claims filed by citizens or businesses who allege that they have suffered damage or injury as a result of a negligent act or omission by the Municipality or its employees. 

If a person feels that the Municipality is responsible for any damage or injury sustained and wishes to make a claim, they are required, under Section 286 of the Local Government Act, to provide notice to the Municipality in writing of the time, place and manner in which the damage was sustained, within two months of the date the loss or damage occurred.

If you are unsure about how to file a claim, would like a claim form mailed or faxed to you, or have filed a claim and have questions about the investigation or status of the claim, please call the Risk Management Division at 250-475-5455 from Monday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Please note that depending on the type of claim, it may take several weeks for a determination to be made about your claim.  Please be patient.

If you wish to submit a claim, please fill out the claim formPDF document, sign and date the form, attach all supporting documents and submit to the attention of the Risk Manager via:

Regular Mail:
District of Saanich
770 Vernon Avenue
Victoria, BC V8W 2W7


Once a claim is received, it is then acknowledged, investigated and responded to with either an acceptance or denial of liability. If a person wishes to appeal a denial of their claim they may do so through either the Small Claims Court or Supreme Court of BC.

Please note that the Municipality is not an insurer of private property. The Municipality will not be held responsible for your damages unless you can provide evidence that the Municipality committed a negligent act or omission which then caused the damages. Like most Canadian Municipalities, the District of Saanich provides compensation only when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. The intent is to provide an equitable policy for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

If you have insurance coverage, you are required to submit your claim for damages to your insurance company first, and your insurance company may then submit your claim to the Municipality.


The most common causes of sewer and drain backups:

  • Putting items down your drain that should be put into your garbage
  • Invasive tree roots
  • Pipe problems
  • Storms
  • Vandalism

It is the Homeowner's responsibility to determine where a blockage in the system is located, regardless if it is on private or public property. If you are experiencing a backup, a plumber should be called to determine the location of the blockage. If it is determined that the blockage is on Municipal property, the Public Works Department should then immediately be contacted and the plumber should stay on site.

Water Main Breaks

Water mains run underneath the roadway and supply fresh water to the private services connected to it. The private service brings water from the water main to your building, and is the owner's responsibility.  

If there is water gushing out of the street, a water main or water pipe has probably broken on the street. Please contact the Public Works Department immediately at 250-475-5599 or at the after hour emergency numbers above.  

If there is a water leak at the meter box, please call Public Works, who will then attend and advise whether the leak is on public or private property.

Homeowner Responsibilities

The Homeowner is responsible to take the first steps to minimize any damage to personal property (i.e. remove undamaged items from the area to prevent damages).

Notify your Homeowner or Rental Insurance Agent of the damage as soon as possible to determine if your policy provides coverage for the damage.

Take immediate steps, through your own resources or those of your Insurer, to remove excess water or sewage ASAP. Sewage presents special health considerations so you may need professional assistance. Damage restoration firms are listed in the phone directory.

Common sense will dictate most other actions. Remember that electricity and water can prove fatal BE CAREFUL

Potholes & Road Hazards

If you have damaged your vehicle because of a pothole:

  • See a licensed motor vehicle mechanic.
  • Do not continue to drive your vehicle if it is not operating properly.
  • Note the exact location of the pothole and report it to the Municipal Roads Department so that they can take steps to fix the road.

You may wish to contact your insurance provider as there may be coverage for this type of loss.

Last modified: July 06, 2015