Saanich Fire Department
In case of emergency,
Message from the Fire Chief
With pride and dedication, the Saanich Fire Department provides the highest quality service for our community by protecting and preserving life, property and the environment.
We work to make Saanich a safe community for all citizens.
--Fire Chief Michael Burgess
Saanich Fire Department includes 123.5 uniformed members and seven support staff working out of three fire stations. We respond to more than 4,600 emergency incidents every year including:
- Fire Suppression
- Medical Response
- Vehicle Extrication
- Land and Marine Rescue
- Mutual Aid Requests
- Hazardous Materials Incidents
- Public Service Requests
Fire dispatch services, including emergency and non-emergency call receiving, processing and dispatching, are provided to seven client municipalities in the Capital Region.
Saanich Fire performs fire safety inspections and provides fire apparatus, mechanical and high angle rescue services. We also participate on the regional Hazardous Materials Response Team.
Saanich's Emergency Program is administered by Saanich Fire and provides citizens with a response strategy for emergencies, major emergencies and disasters. Saanich's emergency plan is updated regularly and staff trained and ready to respond should a major emergency or disaster unfold.
Along with providing emergency response services, we provide fire prevention and life-safety education. Every year we visit Saanich schools to teach fire safety and how to keep fires from starting.
We provide a wide variety of safety programs for children, seniors, businesses and our community. Some of the programs we teach are: Seniors Fire Safety, Fire Extinguisher Training and Smoke Alarm Replacement.
Mission, Vision and Values
Read about our mission, vision and values.
The Saanich Fire Department consists of seven divisions:
- Fire Prevention
- Staff Development and Training
- Mechanical and Fleet Maintenance
- Emergency Program
The Saanich Fire Department was established in 1919.
In 1917, due to pressures from citizens desirous of better fire protection, Council rented a building for $7.50 per month and purchased 1,000 feet of fire hose. Although the building had no electricity, it was still considered adequate for Saanich’s fire station. In 1919, the building was wired and the building was inaugurated in March with John G. Little appointed “Fireman in Charge”. During this period, Saanich had 170 fire hydrants and one fire truck [read more...].